If you want to upload a PDF onto a page on your website for your audience to download or view, you may be wondering where even to begin to do such a task.
This article will help you add a PDF using WordPress, a popular content management system.
To add a PDF to a webpage using WordPress, follow the steps below:
1. Login to WordPress admin section
First of all, you will need to log into the WordPress admin section with the username and password that you used to create your WordPress website or blog.
2. Open the WordPress media manager
Depending on the WordPress theme that you have active, look for the media section. You should normally be able to find it in the left menu section in the admin area.
3. Select the PDF
While in the media section, click on the Add New menu or button.
This should allow you to upload several different types of files from your local desktop to the WordPress server. Doing so will allow you to place it on a page in your WordPress site.
The different types of files that you could upload include media files and documents like PDFs.
This step is important because it will point the PDF that you will place on your website page to a location where it will always be available to your users.
4. Upload Files
While in the Add New section, find the Select File button. A dialog box will open to allow you to navigate to a local folder where the PDF that you want to upload is located on your computer.
While on this screen, instead of browsing, you could also drag the file from your computer to the ‘drop files here’ section.
Depending on the size of your PDF, it will take a moment for the file to transfer from your desktop to the WordPress server. You will know when the upload is complete when the upload progress bar shows complete and disappears.
You will now see the newly uploaded PDF in the media library.
5. Navigate to the page where you want to upload the PDF
You can now navigate to the page where you want your website audience to view the file and attach it to the page.
To do so:
- Navigate to the Pages section. You can find it on the right-hand side of the WordPress admin.
- Select the page where you want to place the PDF.
- Place the cursor exactly where you want the PDF placed on the page and click on the Add Media button.
- This should open up the media library where you uploaded the PDF file.
- With the PDF selected, you will find details or metadata about the PDF on the right side of this window.
- You could add details such as a title for the file and a caption or description.
- At the bottom right-hand corner of this page, click on the “Insert into Page” button.
Voila! You now have a hyperlink of the PDF title correctly pointing to the PDF in your media library.
Once you are sure that everything looks the way you want it to, click on the Publish button on the right hand section of this page to take your page and the PDF live to your audience.