Creating your first website can be intimidating, but it’s easier than you might think. Thanks to the plethora of free website builder sites and free themes, most users have the freedom and resources necessary to create any kind of site they want.
4 Tips to Help You Build the Perfect Website
You don’t need any past experience to build a website. It’s nice if you have some, but it’s definitely not mandatory. However, if you are new to creating websites, you’ll want to take your time and do your research. Here are a few basic pointers:
- Find a Reliable Host
One of the first issues on the docket is to find a reliable host for your website. If you’re new to hosting and aren’t familiar with exactly what you should be looking for, this can be a slightly confusing process. However, if you’re willing to spend some time researching website hosting, you’ll be fine. At the end of the day, it’s all about finding a host that will keep your site both secure and up and running.
- Weigh Your Design Options
Once you have your website host squared away, it’s time to think about something that’s a little more fun and creative: website design. You have a handful of options here:
- With a handful of free website builder platforms on the market, you can always opt to take your chances and design your own site. Most will come out looking professional, but it will require a considerable amount of your time.
- The second option is to go with a pre-designed theme. There are both free and premium options and you typically get what you pay for.
- Finally, you always have the ability to hire a professional website builder to create a custom site that’s tailored to your specific needs. One of the benefits of using a professional site builder is that you often gain access to extra services – like digital marketing and SEO.
The choices might seem overwhelming at first, but they don’t have to be. Once you evaluate your needs and consider your level of experience and involvement, the best option should stick out to you.
- Focus on SEO and Traffic Generation
Building a website is only half the battle. With your site built, you have to begin developing a traffic generation strategy that actually brings people to your site. In most cases, this looks like a combination of search engine optimization, content marketing, paid advertising, and social media marketing.
- Keep Things Simple and Functional
“Users are most attracted to sites that have a clean design. Moreover, people are increasingly aware of a site’s usability,” designer Alan Smith explains. “Modern users tend to favor designs that focus on necessary components and eschew distracting bells and whistles. While it may sound counterintuitive, minimalist design can offer higher user engagement, better usability, and appeal that is more aesthetic.”
If you want your website to thrive in today’s online environment, keep things simple. There’s no need for extra elements, in terms of design or functionality. Minimalism is popular and you’ll enjoy a nice boost to your bottom line if you respect this.
You’re Only Just Getting Started
Once you get your website built, your natural inclination might be to sit back and relax for a bit. Unfortunately, you have no such luxury. Website design and development isn’t something that you check off. Once your site is up and running, you need to immediately shift your attention to studying analytics and testing the site to make sure you’re maximizing each and every visitor. It’s a lot of hard work, but your effort will be rewarded.